What are the factors of calculating Alimony?
No one factor is more significant than the others, and the courts will carefully consider each one. The nature and length of the alimony award are entirely under the judge's discretion in each case. If you and your spouse agree on an alimony award, the court will accept it as long as it is equitable to both parties, as it would with any other divorce-related matter.
- Duration of the marriage
- Health, age, station, occupation, amount and sources of money, occupational skills, and employability of each spouse during the marriage, as well as the behavior of the pair
- Each spouse's obligations and requirements
- Whether the supported spouse is the custodial parent of a child whose age, condition, or circumstances make it difficult to seek employment outside of the house, or only find part-time or flexible employment.
- The length of time a spouse spent being at home to care for the family, as well as how much their education, experience, or talents have aged them and how much of a financial burden they are now carrying.
- The time and money required for the supported spouse to pursue education or training in order to develop marketable skills and land a job; the likelihood that, given their age and skills, a spouse will finish school or training and be able to support themselves; and the likelihood that, given their age and skills, a spouse will be able to support themselves.
- The cost of living at the marriage's peak
- The paying spouse's ability to provide support while maintaining financial independence, the possibility for either spouse to receive assets or income, and any other factors the court determines to be equitable and proper. (R.I. Gen. Laws 15-5-16 (b).)
If you are interested in learning more about working with the Law Offices of Senerchia & Sheehan on family law, reach our offices today!
Schedule a call with one of our attorneys today: 401-615-3880
Email: [email protected]
The Law Offices of Senerchia & Sheehan and a family-owned company with a mission of putting families first. We take great pride in being able to assist members of our community get back to a stress-free life.
Disclaimers: This article is used for reference only and not intended to be legal advice. If you are looking for Legal counsel, please call our firm today!